Waxing is a more effective way to remove unwanted hairs temporarily. Unlike shaving, waxing removes the hair from the roots and this ensures that the hairs that grow are sparse and lighter. Waxing is usually done on the hairs that people feel are unwanted and would like a longer-lasting and more effective method of hair removal.
Just like we keep the hairs on our heads well-maintained, why not do so to the hairs on the other areas of our body?
The difference between hot waxing and Strip waxing.
There are generally two types of wax. Hot wax and Strip or Warm wax. The differences are:
- Hot wax is applied thickly on the skin and is allowed to dry a little before it is ripped off while Strip wax is applied thinly and a paper or a piece of fabric is used to strip it off.
- Hot waxing is far less painful as compared to warm waxing which is a little more painful.
- Hot waxing promotes skin hydration and it is the best wax to use on the most sensitive areas. Whereas strip waxing is ideal for areas that are less sensitive like the legs, arms chest and the back.
- When using hot wax time must be given in between application so as to allow the skin time to cool whereas in Strip waxing the process is continued with no stopping.
Benefits of waxing over shaving
- Since waxing removes the hairs from the roots and not from the skins surface makes the skin softer.
- Waxing has longer lasting effects as compared to shaving.
- Ingrown hairs that occur from shaving do not appear if one waxes
- The hair that grows after waxing is always sparse and finer unlike in the case of shaving.
Some of the possible side effects of waxing
Usually some people will experience redness (erithema ) on the Parts that have been waxed, and one of the most common side effects is having raised follicles to name but a few of the expected side-effects.
There are some products that can be applied after waxing to condition the skin and prevent in-grown hairs. This helps you to see better results after waxing.
Does waxing hurt?
There is bound to be some discomfort especially for the first treatment. However, there are some creams and lotions that are applied on the skin prior to the waxing process. These creams absorb into the skin and ease the pain when the treatment is on.This way you will not have to fear or even experience the discomfort associated with waxing.
What areas can be waxed?
Waxing can be done on almost every area of the body. However, it is advisable top test on a small area first for sensitivity.
For women: Bikini line, eyebrows, underarms, legs and face are the most areas waxed.
For men: legs, chest, arms and the back are the areas that are generally waxed.
Some of the areas that should not be waxed are the beards and the inside of the ears.
What is the best time to have a wax?
- In the mid-cycle, the skin around the nether region is less sensitive. Just before of after menstruation is not a good time to have waxing.
- It is advisable to take a warm shower before waxing as this ensures that the follicle pores are open and hence removing hair is easier and less painful.
Some health precautions you should know
Persons who have varicose veins or poor blood circulation and those suffering from diabetes are more prone to infections, therefore one should be careful and the aesthetician should communicate this to you.
People using Accutane and Retin A, Renova Differin or any other Acne skin thinning medication should never have waxing.
You should also communicate to the aesthetician if you are allergic to any foods as this will help. You should be honest with him as this is for your own protection
Process of treatment, results, aftercare
The therapist should start with a test patch so as to assess your pain sill and she should proceed with the treatment according to your comfort level. However you should be ready for a certain degree of discomfort especially for the first time, but it tends to be easier each time you get a treatment.
What to expect during waxing?
Depending on the area being waxed, you are given the choice of putting on a gown or disposable underwear and then covered with a towel. The therapist will ensure that you are as comfortable as possible before setting on the process of waxing.
How long does waxing take?
The time taken for waxing depends on two things: The area being waxed and the length and density of the hair. But generally between fifteen and one hour, your therapist should be through with the waxing and the whole process.
Results and aftercare
After waxing, the pores on the skin are wide open and vulnerable to infection, for the next couple of days care and cleanliness should be observed.
- Wear cotton and loose comfortable underpants to avoid friction
- Do not swim use sauna or steam in a public pool because you could easily pick an infection
- Do not expose the waxed part to sun or heat
- Instead of using hot water to shower, use lukewarm water.
- To prevent ingrown hairs, apply a gentle scrub after the first 5 days of waxing.
- To prevent dry skin, do apply tee tree lotion so as to keep the skin moisturized until your next waxing appointment.
How long will the results last?
After the first waxing, depending on an individual, the results should last between 3 to 6 weeks. It all depends on the regrowth of hair on each individual. Heat encourages faster re-growth of hair. However, having waxing done regularly will lead to sparse hair growth.